His prior sponsored research has included:
- Value-Based Purchasing in Health Care (Co-Principal Investigator), Schering-Plough Pharmaceuticals, 1999-2001. $400,000.
- Curriculum Design for a Physician Management Education Program, (Principal Investigator), Alliance for Internal Medicine, 1999-2000. $23,000.
- Development of Interactive Multimedia Instruction for Physician Management Education (Co-Principal Investigator), Hoechst, Marion, Roussel, Inc., 1995-96. $500,000.
- Analysis of Managerial Issues in Integrated Delivery Systems in Health Care (Co-Principal Investigator), Marion Merrell Dow, Inc., 1994-95. $175,000.
- Analysis of the Validity of Ratios of Costs to Charges in Determining Hospital Costs (Co-Principal Investigator), The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 1992-1993. $50,000
- Evaluation of the Program for Faculty Fellowships in Health Care Finance (Co-Principal Investigator), The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 1988-1991. $250,000
- Development of an Accounting MBA Program (Principal Investigator), Consortium of Big-8 Public Accounting Firms, 1989. $40,000
- Cost Comparisons Between Teaching and Non-Teaching Hospitals, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1985-86.
- Curriculum Development in Health Policy and Management, Pew Memorial Trust, 1983-85.
- Physician-Administrator Interactions in the Allocation of Hospital Resources, W.L.Kellogg Foundation, Kaiser Family Foundation, 1980-85